Happy New Year, everyone! If you have received one of our Garden Republic Heirloom Seed Sets or Garden Starter Kits and would like a bit of extra insight on care, this blog post is for you! If you are looking at purchasing your first or next set kit and unsure which one to get, this post is also for you!
What the Difference Between the Seed and Starter Kits?
Let's start with the Garden Starter Kits! These cute yet practical sets come with everything you need to get started on growing your own little garden from seed to sprout! They are perfect if you are a newly found green thumb or looking to start a small garden and get too overwhelmed with bunches of seed types. Included in them are 4 seed varieties, 4 burlap pots, 4 soil discs, 4 bamboo plant markers, sprouts sheers, and an easy-to-follow instruction manual.
We currently have 8 different starter sets. You can see most of them are for eating/culinary uses, but a couple of them are just for hobbies/fun!
- "Bonsai Bonanza" Seed Starter Kit
- Cactus & Succulent Seed Starter Kit
- Spicy Pepper Garden Seed Starter Kit
- Herbal Tea Garden Starter Kit
- "Herbs in the Burbs" Culinary Herb Starter Kit
- "Exotic Veggies" Vegetable Garden Starter Kit
- Edible Flowers Garden Starter Kit
- "Rainbow Salad" Vegetable Garden Starter Kit
We have 3 different heirloom seed sets ( more to come!). Our Seed sets are an excellent choice if you are looking for a more extensive variety of plants for your garden! Suppose you started out with one of our 4 starter kits and feel confident to take on more seeds; these are the perfect addition to your growing collection!
The 8-10 seed packets( depends on kit) come with a matching quantity of bamboo markers, all packed into an elegant wooden box!
The plant seeds in all of our kits are grown in the USA and are tested at a 90%+ germination rate before being placed in our seed packets. Our seeds are also all Non-GMO and Heirloom and (when available) USDA Certified Organic.
TLC For Your Seeds
Each seed type is unique and can require different needs from the other seeds in your kit. While some of them grow quite quickly and can give ya an instant green thumb feeling, others are pickier and take a little more patience to sprout! If you purchased a 4 variety grow kit , they come with a detailed instruction booklet to be used in conjunction with the information on each seed packet.
If you have a seed set, you'll be going off the information on the seed packets and your own gardening knowledge. Of course, we are more than happy and ready to help you with any questions you may have! Below are some basic things you will want to keep in mind regarding any seed variety.
- Soil temperature: We can't stress enough how important the temperature is that seeds are kept in. In general, your soil will be slightly cooler than the room/environment it is kept in unless given a supplemental heat source. Check each seed packet to find that seeds desired temperature. You may need to purchase a heating mat or grow light if you have trouble keeping them toasty enough. Whether you plan to plant them outdoors or keep them in your house, it's best to germinate seeds indoors so they are in a controlled environment. It's also beneficial to keep seeds away from windows and drafts. Basically, fluctuating temperatures are not suitable!
- Stratification: The two most common stratification methods are soaking your seeds in warm water or placing them folded in a wet paper towel. Your instruction manual ( if you have a grow kit) will tell ya how long to soak the seeds for. Most types do best when left to soak overnight.
- Seed depth: Again, refer to each packet's backside to find the depth they should be sowed at. Make sure the seeds don't go more than 1/8" (about the width of the "o" on your computer keyboard.) Planting any deeper can lead to non-sprouting.
- Watering routine: You want consistent hydration of your soil. Use a toothpick or skewer to help ya out! Insert all the into the pot. If it comes out wet/with soil, don't water. If it comes out dry/no ground, it is watering time. Try to add about a quarter of the volume of soil in water. For our burlap planting bags, that should be about a 1/8 of a cup of water.
- Time is on your side: Have patience! You are growing new life from almost nothing, and this takes lots of care and time. While some seeds pop up in just a few days, others can take a couple months! Each seed packet will show on the back how long it should take for germination.
If you ever come across any problems or have questions at any point in the process, please reach out to us. We are waiting to help you almost 24/7. We have an abundance of tips, tricks, videos, advanced planting guides, and encouragement to give. You can email us at email@example.com, reach us on our website www.shopgardenrepublic.com or on Facebook! Once you are a proud owner of our kits, you will also have access to our private grower community!
We are cheering you and your new garden on and hope to see photos of your plant babies in the next few months! Happy Sowing!